I love to make my own ornaments for my Christmas tree. Typically I will reuse old ornaments I have bought for cheap from yard sales or Goodwill. This year I have decided to do a rustic themed Christmas tree and wanted to make some ornaments from scratch. Today I am making a rustic star ornament out of items I had laying around my craft room.
- jute or twine *you could also use yarn*
- popsicle craft sticks
- wood glue
- hot glue gun
- Cut your popsicle sticks in half.
- Arrange the 10 pieces in the shape of a star.
- Apply wood glue on the ends to attach all the sticks together in the star shape.
- Let dry for approximately an hour. You want to make sure you can wrap the jute around it without it coming apart.
- Take a piece of twine about 5 inches long and tie it around the peak of your star, this will be how you hang it from your tree when you are finished.
- Take your hot glue gun and glue the end of your jute near the top of the star and start wrapping around and around each star tip, you can apply hot glue every so far to make sure it does not unravel.
- Next, you will want to wrap the jute around the exposed sections over and over until they are completely covered.
- When you get to the end just apply a dab of hot glue on the back side and attach the end of the jute.
- Hang it on your tree and TA DA! Now repeat if you’d like multiple rustic stars on your tree.
Remember this can be altered in many ways. Instead of cutting the popsicle sticks, you could leave them whole. Or you could even use paint stir sticks in half to make a larger decoration for your wall. The possibilities are endless. I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial.
Check out these other awesome bloggers who participated in the DIY Christmas Ornament Hop
Thursday, November 19th
Friday, November 20th
[…] Wow it is amazing something so simple can look so elegant on your tree. I LOVE this. It would make a great addition to my rustic christmas tree. Jennifer Pierce recently posted…Rustic DIY Star Ornament […]