10 Travel Activities For Kids
Do you find yourself dreading even thinking about traveling with kids? Long or short road trips with kids aren’t always fun fests. But they are doable, and yes can even be enjoyable! Here are some fun activities to keep the kids busy and not saying, “Are we there yet?” a million times!
- Dry erase markers and a glove. Where would we be in this world if it was not for dry erase markers? One of the best inventions and here is another great use for them! Let the kids draw on the windows with dry erase markers. (Be sure they know not to write anywhere except the windows)! And you don’t have to worry about the “I lost my eraser”, the gloves are perfect because they will always have it on their hand.
- Pipe cleaners. What creations can be made with pipe cleaners? The possibilities are endless, especially the imagination of children. You can find a jumbo bag on Amazon for cheap!
- Dollar store toys. This is a great incentive for good behavior. Go to the local dollar store and purchase some dollar items to wrap in gift wrap. Activity books, cars, action figures, stickers, dry erase board, mini dolls and card games are just a few ideas. For each hour (maybe half hour in same cases) let him/her choose a prize to unwrap.
- Make a busy board. This is more for younger kids. At a younger age, children are so curious about how things work. This busy board will keep the child entertained while they are learning the skills to make buttons and snaps work.
- Car colors. Who can find all the different colors of cars first? Great activity for all to play. Print a few sheets out and laminate each one so they are reusable. Mark off a car color as you see them with a dry erase marker.
- I Spy. Super fun printable! I Spy Bingo! You can also laminate this printable also and use bingo markers to dab your spots!
- Mad Libs. Time to get creative! We love Mad Libs! See how interesting and unique you can make your story! There is even a Mad Libs On Road edition!
- Glow Sticks. If you’re on the road at night, break out the glow sticks. You can get a pack of 25 of them on Amazon for less than $.60 each. These lights won’t distract the driver, and the kids will still have fun.
- License Plate Game. You cannot have a road trip without playing the License Plate Game! Laminate these and you have a fun game for the way to and from!
- Keep A Journal. Start it as soon as you leave your house. Write down each stop you make, the towns/cities you go through. Jot down how long in between towns. If you stop to check out landmarks, take a brochure and keep in your journal. Don’t stop once you’ve reached your destination; write in your journal all the way back home.
One more important thing to take on road trips…. SNACKS! “Hangry” kids are no fun! With these 10 fun activities, kids should stay entertained and not have to bicker with one another (fingers crossed)! Safe travels!